Surge Protection

Surge protection is critical for the safety of your home and your valued electrical devices.


A power surge occurs when the line voltage goes higher than nominal and stays there longer than ten milliseconds. This can damage any of your appliances and all of your electronics. Surges occur when devices with motors such as refrigerators and hair dryers shut off.

Roughly 40% of the problem is generated outside the home or office, but 60% of all electrical surges are generated within the home. Common causes of a home power surge include: air conditioners, copiers, computers and even lights turning on and off

If the surge or spike is high enough, it can inflict some heavy damage on a machine. The effect is very similar to applying too much water pressure to a hose. If there is too much water pressure, a hose will burst. Something similar happens when too much electrical pressure runs through a wire — the wire “bursts.” Actually, it heats up like the filament in a light bulb and burns, but it’s the same idea. Even if increased voltage doesn’t immediately break your machine, it may put extra strain on the components, wearing them down over time.

Mister Sparky electrician NWA offers professional surge protection services.SURGE PROTECTION

A standard surge protector passes the electrical current along from the outlet to a number of electrical and electronic devices plugged into the power strip. If the voltage from the outlet surges or spikes — rises above the accepted level — the surge protector diverts the extra electricity into the outlet’s grounding wire. Learn more about surge protection devices here.

At Mister Sparky we’ll handle all your home surge protection needs. Call us today for more information about our professional electrical services.