What should you do in an electrocution emergency? Electrical shock can be frightening and is more common than you may think. Household outlets, light fixtures, and electric fences are just a few of the likely causes.
If someone you know gets shocked, contact 911 or other emergency number then check for these symptoms:
- Cardiac arrest
- Heart rhythm problems
- Respiratory failure
- Muscle pain and contractions
- Numbness and tingling
Follow these steps to ensure both their safety and your own:
- Before touching them, make sure they are no longer in contact with the object that shocked them. It could pass the current to you.
- Move the source away and/or turn it off if you can.
- Check to see if they are able to breathe. If not, begin CPR if you know how.
- To keep the victim from going into shock, lay them down with their legs elevated.
Keeping all of this in mind could save a life or prevent lasting injuries from an electric shock. Remember to stay safe and avoid possibly dangerous materials.
Mister Sparky Electrician NWA, America’s On-Time Electrician in Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale and Fayetteville services the Northwest Arkansas area with a team of licensed electricians. In addition to flickering lights, some of the electrician services provided by the company include electrical outlet/switch repair, ceiling fan installation, lighting installation, electrical wiring repair, landscape lighting installation and home electrical inspections.